Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ's
About Dr. Celaya & Communication
Dr. Greg Celaya is a committed and dedicated health care practitioner of 30+ years who believes wholeheartedly that if given the right tools, the body itself will become a master healer. He is a Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) and holds a Master of Science degree (MS) in Human Nutrition. He is a Certified Nutritional Specialist (CNS), a Diplomate of the American Clinical Board of Nutrition (DACBN), and is Certified by the International Society of Sports Nutrition (CISSN). He has extensive training in Functional Medicine, Bio-cellular Nutrition and Cellular Detoxification. His own personal struggle with Grave’s disease catapulted him onto a course of intense research regarding ultimate health.
Dr. Celaya is a very caring doctor. He is deeply passionate about empowering people to take back their health and live fully balanced happy lives. He found his way to his career through his own health challenge and knows what it’s like to have a chronic health condition. In working with thousands of patients, he practices kindness and understanding through all of his interactions. Please see our testimonial page of our website for feedback from many of his patients.
Dr. Celaya is happy to answer brief questions via email you may have about your protocol or symptoms. If it is a complex question which requires further back and forth communication, Dr. Celaya will recommend scheduling a 15 min. consult.
Dr. Celaya has handouts regarding supplement reactions and certain supplement instructions. See the resources area of your protocol for those handouts.
Dr. Celaya and his office staff try to answers as soon as they seem them, sometimes immediately. Other times they are with patients. In general, they are committed to responding within 24 hours.
It’s very important we keep good two-way communication if any issues occur as most of the times there are solutions for them.
If you are feeling overwhelmed the best step is to schedule a consult asap to review progress and break up the next steps in your health journey into smaller chunks so you feel less overwhelmed.
- What has worked and what hasn’t worked: I want to get an understanding of what has worked and not worked in the past. Further health clues can be gained by understanding how your body has reacted or responded to certain treatments. This information is very meaningful in coming up with a plan on how we move forward.
- Complete metabolic history: I want to get a complete view of your metabolic history (gut health, respiration, hormonal, neurological etc.). This can give us clues about the direction of your treatment. It will help us prioritize diet, lifestyle, supplement and lab recommendations. Being able to understand your previous history and family history from relatives can also give us potential genetic pre-dispositions that you may have.
- Diet and lifestyle history: I need to understand your diet and lifestyle habits. This gives us a starting point regarding how much support you may need in upcoming consultations. Many people may need additional follow-up support regarding diet and lifestyle until they can show a level of competence in these areas. Some patients may be doing great and need very little support. Our goal is to create a customized program that meets each patient’s specific needs.
- Old labs: It is important to review old labs (if any) so I can get a sense of what has been on the radar with previous doctors. Some patients may only have a few labs which are easily handled during the initial consultation while others may have dozens that may need an additional consultation time. We put more weight on labs that were performed within the last year, and of those, more weight on those labs with abnormal values. Dr. Celaya will review your labs from a conventional perspective but also interpret the labs through optimal health ranges as well.
- New labs: Once I have gathered the information from above, we will be able to prioritize and recommend specific new functional medicine lab tests to help us assess the function your body systems (gut function, infections, hormones, detoxification, etc.). These labs help provide us with more information so we can get to the root cause of your health challenges. The more labs we can order up front (typically 1-4 labs based on your condition), the better we will be able to create a comprehensive functional medicine program that works. More information usually gets us on track faster, but it is your choice.
- Important Notes: Some patients may expect a full treatment program during the new patient consult, this is not possible as labs haven’t been ordered and more data is needed to be collected before that can happen. If patients have realistic expectations entering the new patient consult, it allows us to work together better and increase our chances of achieving your health goals.
Dr. Celaya can offer consultations by phone, Zoom, or his office located at 1325 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd., #104 Thousand Oaks, Ca 91362.
- 1-15 minute consultation: Troubleshoot any issues with your functional medicine program. This appointment type does not provide enough time to review lab work.
- 15-30 minute consult: This consult is designed for questions regarding diet, lifestyle and the supplement program. 1 lab test may be reviewed if time permits.
- 30-45 minute consult: This consult is designed for questions regarding diet, lifestyle and the supplement program. 2-3 labs test may be reviewed during this time.
- 60-minute consult: This consult is designed for questions regarding diet, lifestyle and the supplement program. 3-4 labs test may be reviewed during this time. *Patients are charged for the time block used not the time scheduled.
- New patient consultation: This consult can last from 45 minutes to 120 minutes. It depends how long Dr. Celaya needs to understand your case.
Our patient intake forms are presented on this website for you to fill in. Once you submit, they will be forwarded to us automatically. If you have other information you would like us to receive, we prefer to have them scanned and emailed to email@example.com. If you are local, you can always drop them off. We cannot accept any pictures of documentation taken via cell phones.
Depending on your condition, the type of tests required may be blood, saliva, urine or stool. Saliva, urine, and stool can be completed by the patient through easy test kits that are self-administered in the comfort of your own home. For blood tests, the patient would have to go to a draw station to have the simple procedure performed.
Dr. Celaya has learned over many years that the accuracy of your lab findings and the quality of the professionals performing the lab tests is the key to you uncovering what’s going on. Quality is not equal across all lab companies. Many times we see “normal” test results from regular lab companies and our lab tests find many “functional” problems. The lab companies used by Dr. Celaya have the highest testing standards and the most consistent lab results year after year. Common blood tests may be used for diagnostic purposes to diagnose certain issues while specialty labs are used to detect “functional” issues. We are attempting to detect problems with the functioning of organ systems prior to the onset of a disease.
Dr. Celaya carries his own line and other high-quality supplements which have been formulated to achieve the best results in the right specified dosages. We know what works. Changing the supplements may not give the desired results, and your progress may be hindered. If you want to do your own research on different supplements, we welcome you to do so but we do not provide any other recommendations or advise you of other specific blends or brands. If you purchase other supplements from other manufacturers, please research carefully. Not all ingredients are equal and counterfeiting is rampant now a days.
Our authorized laboratories are only able to sell test kits to licensed practitioners. Dr. Celaya uses specific lab tests from small lab companies that exclusively offer functional medicine tests. If conventional lab testing is necessary, any health care provider can order them.
Dr. Celaya does all lab review sessions and will design your protocol during your lab results consultation. The rest of our team helps with follow up, nutritional and lifestyle coaching as well as with disseminating all of our health and wellness educational information.
The results of your lab test(s) will be sent to Dr. Celaya in 2 to 4 weeks after mailing your specimens to the lab. If you had conventional blood testing, results usually arrive in less than a week. After evaluation, we will contact you to schedule a follow-up appointment to review your results with Dr. Celaya and he will recommend a wellness protocol.
The number of labs recommended will depend on your individual situation including the number of issues you struggle with and the length of time you have been experiencing them, but the range is 1-4 lab tests. Just remember, doing something is better than doing nothing.
The fastest and easiest way to schedule an appointment is by using our online scheduler: Click Here to Make an Appointment The earliest available appointments will always be posted online first. You can always email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the waiting to get a sooner appointment (805) 371-6144.
- 1-15 minute consultation: Troubleshoot any issues with your functional medicine program. This appointment type does not provide enough time to review lab work. 15-30 minute consult: This consult is designed for questions regarding diet, lifestyle and the supplement program. 1 lab test
- 15-30 minute consult: This consult is designed for questions regarding diet, lifestyle and the supplement program. 1 lab test may be reviewed if time permits.
- 30-45 minute consult: This consult is designed for questions regarding diet, lifestyle and the supplement program. 1-2 labs test maybe reviewed during this time.
- 60 minute consult: This consult is designed for questions regarding diet, lifestyle and the supplement program. 2-3 labs test maybe reviewed during this time. *Patients are charged for the time block used not the time scheduled.
We encourage clients to book 2 weeks in advance. Depending on the time of the year, we can usually schedule a new patient or lab results appointment within 1-2 weeks of the requested time. If you have an urgent situation, please contact us for other options.
We do not bill insurance companies and it is up to each individual to determine whether their insurance plan provides reimbursement for consultations, supplements and lab tests (some do). With certain labs, we help facilitate the lab company billing the patient’s insurance. If there are any issues with the billing, it is the patient’s responsibility to contact the lab to address the matter.
Per your request, we will provide a superbill to you that lists CPT and diagnosis codes that you may submit to your insurance company. Our superbills provide the codes for consultations and lab tests. Most insurance companies will not reimburse for supplements. Please note that we cannot guarantee reimbursement. This will depend on your individual plan.
Payment is due at time of making your appointment. If you cancel within the cancellation policy, you will receive a refund on your credit card. If paying by credit card, the card number is required to be on file with our office prior to the consultation. Checks are accepted if received prior to the consult.
It depends on how many test kits are recommended (typically 1-4) but we always recommend that if there are any budgetary concerns, clients start with their first test.
Our new patient consultation is an assessment of your health and recommendations on what tests are required to understand the state of your body systems. The new patient consultation fee does not include any follow-ups, test kits or supplements.
Depending on the protocol created by Dr. Celaya, the estimated total cost starts at approximately $50 and and goes up from there depending upon the length of consultations. It also depends on the length of the program.
Depending on the lab test, the cost is between $50 to $600 per lab kit and you can always start a program just by ordering a single test. Go take a look in the store under lab tests. All the prices are listed there along with a description of the test.
New patient Virtual consultations with Dr. Celaya are $399. In-office consultations are $425.
After-hour consults are available for and additional $100. New patient consults may be shorter or longer, depending on patient’s questions and issues.
(For existing patients only)
1 to 30 minutes follow-up – $150
30 to 45 minutes follow-up – $225
45 to 60 minutes follow-up – $299
Anything greater than 60 minutes will be billed in 15-minute increments.
A late fee of $5 per day will be applied to bills unpaid after 48 hours.
*Follow-up consultations will be billed for the actual time block used, not the time block you schedule. Many patients underestimate how much time is needed to address their concerns.
- Scenario 1: Certain labs Dr. Celaya runs are specialty labs and are purchased at the time of ordering. These labs do not have any additional lab read fees associated with them – there are included in the price of the lab fee listed.
- Scenario 2: If any labs are ordered outside of the office based on Dr. Celaya’s recommendation and are brought back for him to review, a lab read fee will be charged.
While we love to take care of the entire family. We can offer joint consultations of 1 hour to cover two people. For children of existing clients, the initial consultation can be discounted depending upon the complexity. Please contact the office for more details.
If you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment, please notify our office a minimum of 48 hours before your scheduled time or you may be charged for that appointment. New Patient Consultations may be charged in full if the cancellation policy is not followed. Dr. Celaya has patients waiting, and a missed appointment takes time away from someone else. As a courtesy, our office will email you to confirm your appointment 3 days in advance.
Ordering Products & Labs
Orders are shipped by USPS for supplements. Lab test kits may be sent by different carriers. Lab requisition slips are sent by mail to the address you specified when you made your initial appointment.
Our office tries to ship within 24 hours of receipt of your online order unless stated otherwise. This excludes Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Sometimes our supplier may be backordered on products which might take longer – we will let you know if that is the case.
Pre-approval is required on all returns. Supplements (unopened and non-refrigerated items) may be returned with a 15% restocking fee of the purchase price for store credit. Returns do not include shipping and handling. No supplement returns will be accepted after 30 days. Special orders and refrigerated products are non-returnable. Prepaid tests can be returned for credit within 1 months of purchase.
The quickest and easiest way to order supplements or test kits is via our online store.
Re-sale is can be a tricky situation. Many vendors do not allow us to sell to re-sellers whom then turn around and sell their products on Amazon and other sites. Other vendors are OK with it.
If you are interested in re-selling one of our products, please let us know before. Do not place an order online.
If for some reason you do order online and intend to resell, the manufacturer could refuse to send the product out and your order would not go through. Believe it or not, manufacturers have databases of addresses that are known re-sellers. This now means that we will get charged credit card fees for your purchase at the same time as having to refund your purchase causing us a loss. For that reason, any order that the manufacturer refuses to send out because you are a known reseller, will be charged 5%.
Dr. Celaya’s Method is a functional medicine lab-based health approach focused on addressing five common conditions – weight gain, fatigue, depression, female hormone and digestive problems – through restoring the 3 main body systems: hormones, digestion, and detoxification.
Functional Medicine, rather than targeting individual symptoms, focuses on the optimal functioning of the entire body and its organs. It addresses the underlying causes of disease, using a systems-oriented approach in partnership with understanding the conditions and history in which the disease manifested. Genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors all have a direct influence of long-term health and chronic health issues.
Results vary by each person. Some people feel dramatic improvement within the first month, others may take a bit longer. Our standard programs are for a minimum of 6 months. Remember, your body didn’t fail overnight. Years of stress and illness takes its toll and it takes a proper amount of time to restore. On average it takes one month of repair for each year you’ve suffered from a specific problem.
Dr. Celaya’s Method addresses the 5 most chronic symptoms of weight gain, fatigue, depression, hormone imbalances and digestive problems that are typically misunderstood/misdiagnosed by conventional medicine practitioners who attempt to address the symptoms, not the root cause/damaged system. Dr. Celaya’s Method is a lab-based natural health protocol that tests and identifies the dysfunction of the 3 core main body systems. Typically these 3 main systems have become compromised long BEFORE the symptoms appeared. The lab tests are used to determine the required natural support needed to rebalance your body back to its normal state.
Initial programs range anywhere from 3-6 months depending on the degree of your health condition. A very chronic condition may take a year or longer of diligent attention.
Of course, follow-up testing is up to you. I like to retest to measure improvement and adjust protocols if needed. Some labs will change in 90 days while others may be 6 months. Once a client has achieved their desired health results, we recommend annual testing to ensure your body systems continue functioning at their best.